Tuesday, July 26, 2011

It was an interesting evening…

….the weather was beautiful…  no 100 degree heat index and minimal mosquitoes a rarity these last few weeks.   And it was EAA week – that’s Experimental Aircraft Association to you non-Wisconsin folk.  What that means is that little Oshkosh Wisconsin’s airport becomes the busiest airport in the world for a week as half a million people descend on the town to look at…  well.. experimental airplanes.  Not bad for a town of 66,000 people!   Years ago, I volunteered for the Fox Cities Convention and Visitors Bureau and greeted people arriving at the Appleton airport for the week and a 2 hour stint gave me free transportation to the EAA plus free admission to the event AND to the flight line… which means nothing to most people but I got to walk around all the planes along with the people who knew something about them.  My favorite part was the air show and the my favorite of all the performances was in 1986 when the  Italian aerobatic display team Frecce Tricolori performed. (ok…. no I didn’t remember who they were but the internet is a wonderful thing isn’t it for research!)

Meanwhile… back on the ranch..  …well not a ranch but you know what I mean…    I thought maybe with my long lens I could get some pictures of planes since they fly over my house on occasion.  What I learned tonight:

  • I really need to learn more about my camera.  It wouldn’t auto focus on planes in the air and I have no idea what the other settings mean!  So…  switch to dogs…
  • When you have the long lens on the camera and decide to then take pictures of dogs, they have to be AWAY from you – not hanging out at your feet.   OK then…  flowers….
  • Again… distance for flowers…  now I could have come into the house and switched to another lens but that thought didn’t occur to me until much later!

Regardless, the flowers were coming up nicely and the dogs were just happy that it was a nice evening to be outside.    Olivia seemed a bit stressed but then not being able to hear and see well would stress me out a bit!  The photo of the evening I believe was the head shot of Jake below.  He is such a handsome dude, don’t you think?  Smile

 

2011.7.27 dogs and flowers-2         2011.7.27 dogs and flowers-7         2011.7.27 dogs and flowers-6

 

 

 

.

Related Posts with Thumbnails